Monday, October 17, 2011

My Coming Out Experience

My coming out experience is probably different than a majority of LBGT kids.
I came out to my mom in seventh grade and I told her that I was bisexual.
She was completely okay with it, and proceeded to tell my dad about me.  He took a little while, but he eventually got over it and now we can talk about my girlfriends, and even just hot girls we see on the street.
I told my friends, and nobody has ever left me because of it and I'm involved at the GSA at school and at Lambda, the towns GSA.
The worst I've ever gotten for being gay is probably dirty looks from a girl I liked in my Algebra class Freshman year, but I've never gotten much crap for it.
I've heard people be like "oh, have you heard about that Jessica girl? She's a lesbian!" and my friends have immediately stepped in and been like "she's one of my best friends. Got anything else to say?" and they shut up.  The fact that I have quite a few friends has been helpful in this situation, no doubt.
But although I've had a really good experience being a lesbian and I love every second of every day checking out hot girls, I know there are people who get bullied all day every day because of it.  And my only advice to them is that it gets better.  After high school, those people won't be there anymore.  You'll never see them again, and they'll probably never say your name again [unless they're saying "oh, sorry boss" :)].  I know things are hard now and it's tough to pull through the next couple years of being bullied, but things really do get better, and you'll eventually meet a partner and fall in love and get married if you'd like.  Things really do get better. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment